Thursday, March 8, 2012

Sailboats, Seals and Palm Trees... In Iowa :S

Finding time to blog is more difficult than I first thought!  But by gosh I WILL do this!  Life has been absolutely crazy for us the last few weeks!  We've done more painting and John has been changing out all of our outlets and switches in the living room, dining room and kitchen.  I even talked him into helping me paint!  He doesn't quite have as steady of a hand as me, but when it comes to needing a ladder on the stairs or letting him do the trimming along the ceiling I think his shaky hand sounds perfectly fine to me!!!  He also is replacing 3 light fixtures and 3 ceiling fans with new lights, hopefully in time for his 30th Birthday Party coming up! :D  

Ok ok as I promised I will take this post to show you what a little paint can do to change a tiny bathroom from a trip to Sea World to a more calming room! haha   Now mind you this is one of the rooms that we painted within a week of moving into our house... almost 3 years ago!  Some day the plaster walls in our upstairs will be gone and we will have a fully updated 2nd floor to go with the 1st.






Now when I said this bathroom is tiny, I meant TEANY TINY!  like maybe a 4x5 room if were lucky, plus it has the angled ceiling due to the eves of the house.   I first painted this room a mustardy green color, but that was almost worse than this! haha So I gave John full reign of choosing a different color in which he chose "Watering Hole" by Valspar.  Fitting I would say :D





I got the awesome Giraffe Rug at the Family Dollar for $5.00  and the towels also have giraffe print on
them and they were a graduation gift from high school!  So much better than before!

Since I am feeling like giving you all some more pictures I will show you the spare bedroom, which we did nothing to.  Love rooms that you can just move right into! 




That room will probably stay that way until we have children and hopefully by then we will be able to remodel anyway!  Next up is what I like to call "my bathroom".  I honestly LOVE the fact that we have 3 bathrooms in our house!  Sharing a bathroom with a male is probably one of my least favorite part of living with them! hehe!  This room we have not done anything to either, I am still deciding what color I want to use, but I think I would like a Grey and Yellow combo.. yes?!?  


There is a small linen closet (with no shelves... wierd) and a standard Tub Shower on the opposite wall with clear glass doors... yes I must emphasize CLEAR.  When we moved in, I thought that the doors were frosted, but nope!  They were just that covered in soap scum and hard water! ew right?!   After a whole lot of CLR and elbow grease I have clear doors agian! 
Ok... Thats all I have for the rooms that we did nothing to.

I did want to give you a little DIY tip!  So when I decided to paint the dining room and kitchen, I was pretty bummed about the fact that I had put up some Wall Words when we moved in and I really did not want to take them down, nor did I want to have to buy them again (I'm a little frugal...).  I thought about doing what my brother did to keep his, which was put a frame around them and then just paint the walls around that a color that somewhat matched.. hmm.. but that just was not going to work for me.  The wall needed to be touched up in spots under the words so I had no choice but to take them down. 
Here is the words before:


You can even see in the picture how there are spots on the wall :S
I remembered being told when I put up 8 foot vinyl trees in my office (yep pretty sweet!) that kept falling down that if you heat them up with a heat gun or torch when putting them on the wall they will stay (may not be able to remove without damage)... Perfect!  So here is how I removed them... Carefully!



I used Blue painters tape and let me just say, the words came off the wall way better than I ever thought they would!



Then I put them on wax paper and rolled them up to be put up somewhere else.  I have yet to find a place to put them.  I found a place, but them we painted the wall dark chocolate brown so that isn't going to work anymore!  But I did check them the other day and the tape still comes off of the letters clean so we should still be good to go!  Maybe this weekend I will find a place and then I will be sure to show you how to re-attach them!

Ok well I better get a move on!  Hope everyone has a fabulous afternoon and thanks for reading about my life :D


No comments:

Post a Comment